Changes to Family Law Agreements

One of the simplest ways of changing a family law agreement is by discussion and negotiation.  The hard way usually results in a family law court battle.  This segment will deal with the easy way.  Family law agreements include cohabitation, prenuptial, and postnuptial agreements and separation agreements.  Family law is very complex and

Any family law agreement can be changed at any time, as long as the parties to the agreement consent to the change.  Changing an agreement is also called amending or varying the agreement.  We offer three types of services for amending a family law agreement: negotiation, mediation or the collaborative process.  The agreement amending the agreement is usually titled something like “Amendment to the Separation Agreement Executed on February 11, 2012.”  The amending agreement should specify which particular paragraph of the original agreement is being changed, and then set out the new text of that paragraph.  Just like the original agreement, the amending agreement must be formally executed by both parties. 

Please send an email to [email protected] to book an appointment to discuss an Amending or Varying Agreement to change your existing Family Law Agreement.  Our Vancouver Family Law and Mediation Lawyer, Marla Gilsig, will reply.